Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Fat Bike Birkie, 2017

After the first ever cancelation of the Birkie XC-ski race 2 weeks previous, curiosity was elevated to see what would happen to the 5th Annual Fat Bike Birkie.
There wasn't any snow, but temps were -4F when we awoke for the race. The course was hard, rough and fast with a few icy patches. A number of the hills weren't the type to be carried, so it was a granny gear climb to the top of them. 5 laps...and it was tough. Studded tires.
Near the lead out the guy right next to me on the right started to lose it and as he yelled out I reflexively gripped the bars a bit tighter. As he fell he clipped my rear tire and slid me over a few inches on the ice. I didn't go down but he did. All I heard were people cursing and yelling and bikes piling into each other.
Local coverage.

I finished right at 3 hrs. middle of the pack overall and 5th  in my age group with a 10mph average speed. Didn't crash or break anything. Felt good about that as I haven't been riding as much the past year. Results.

My buddy Al and his wife Julie joined Lynn and I for a fun weekend none-the-less.

No comments: