Friday, December 8, 2017

Olympic Penninsula, hanging on to August

We made our way from Lopez Island in the San Juan chain to the main land then took another ferry west towards Port Angeles. We ended up having lunch in Sequim.....then headed into the wilds of the Olympic Peninsula.
Our target for the night was a motel in Forks, which brought about a number of comments from friends and relatives....Vampires and all. Lynn and I aren't into this so it was all news to us.
It was a short stay as the next morning Lynn took her walk around town (and around and around as it was kinda small) checking out a few restaurants while I found an interesting mountain bike trail.

I wouldn't recommend it as a destination, but if in the area, why not?
I rode all the way out, but had to walk a fair amount to make the loop back to the trailhead.
One interesting part of the trip was that I couldn't drive to the trailhead due to the dirt road having slid out sometime earlier. On the in I carried my bike over the slide area and biked a couple of miles to the TH. On the way out I took a detour road that had me making a pretty decent climb then a screaming downhill....your choice!

Tree bridge, more later from the opposite end.










Tree bridge again.


I drove back to town, gathered up Lynn and we continued down the road to Oregon. We had to make a few stops along the way.

An ancient Western Red Cedar....only God knows how many years old it is.


Spruce Tree......


Then we stopped at the Quinalt Lodge....where we made some HUGE discoveries.





No comments: